Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Shorthanded Again

Well, as you'll see from the date of my last offering I haven't been asked to do this for a while and evidently they haven't managed to get anyone else to do it during my absence.
No doubt your wondering where I've been and I'd love to be able to tell you that I'd been some where exotic, but the plain truth is, I've been laid up for months with terrible pain in my legs as the result of a hill walking holiday.
Here's a tip that you might find useful. If your going on a hill walking holiday for the first time don't go with someone who's already climbed Everest.
Well, things are hotting up for this years G8 summit.
I found out the other day that the reason Gleneagles was chosen was because it was thought to be in the middle of nowhere. Gleneagles is roughly in the middle of Scotland and perhaps from a London or European perspective Scotland is nowhere but a lot of us live here and the cost of security alone for this annual Bun feast would keep half a dozen African countries going for a couple of years.
Apparently the First Ladies got a bit bored last year with nothing to do on Seal Island and this year the tight security extends to Glamis Castle so that they can hob nob with the Queen's relatives. I just hope it doesn't disrupt the organization of this years Prommenade Concert. Not that I'll be going, even if the weather is good on the day, you end up damp and cold by the end of the night. And then of course there's the Midges.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least the ladies can have fun swapping bits of shortbread from their goodie bags (as reported in today's Sunday Times). However they won't be able to lob veggie haggis at each other as Macsweens have sensibly decided not to be a part of this gratuitous guzzling.

Broonie said...

I didn't get The Times today but in The herald's big spread on G8 one of the headlines is, Never mind the protesters... what about the midges.

Anonymous said...

Good for Macsweens. Let them eat cake.